Couples counselling - Edmonton - Marriage therapy
Effective couples counselling or marriage therapy requires a clinician who is skilled at both individual work, and the complexities of couples communication. A good couples therapist is able to help each person recognize their own needs, the needs of their partner, and the needs of the relationship. They help the couple to create a bridge between self and partner. A truly gifted couples clinician will enable each person to break through emotional and psychological barriers to reach new levels of understanding, compassion, and support for each other.
Couples counselling helps with
We have had success working with couples struggling with:
- Past traumas that continue to undermine current relationships
- Long distance and work-away separations (e.g. when one person is in the oilpatch)
- Parenting and blended family situations
- Addictions (drugs, alcohol, gambling, internet…)
- Financial stress
- Disability / Chronic illness
- Mental health (depression, anxiety, PTSD, schizophrenia, OCD, autism...)
Couples in strong relationships are able to share and listen, provide support for their partner, and accept the help their partner offers. The couple’s relationship is a dance, and the therapist is there to help the couple regain their sense of rhythm, enjoyment in life, and perhaps teach a new step or two.
Our couples counsellors and marriage therapists are recognized for their skill and education in this field. They are routinely sought out to provide mentoring and teaching for clinicians wishing to learn how to be more effective helping couples they work with.